day 728 | February 8, 2015 | Art Fair Philippines

Details on one of John Paul Antido's work
Fortunate to have been in Manila on the weekend of Contemporary Art Fair this year. It was founded in 2013 as a platform for exhibiting and selling the best in modern and contemporary Philippine visual art. The fair managed to round up an impressive number of galleries. Heard good things about it from a friend, so decided to give it a go.

Hosted in a dressed up parking lot, the fair had a mix of understated, bold, whimsy, and satire. Took snaps of what disturbed, intrigued, fascinated, and those that remind me of things I want to remember. Personally curated, and sharing with credits to the artists. Revisiting my selection confirms that I am drawn to dark things, despite the sunburst tone I prefer in my own art. Censored a few pieces here which were a bit too dark -- I would hesitate to show those to my little ones.

Highly recommend flying over to Manila and checking out the vibrant art scene yourself! Will go and hunt down more of Marc Aran Reyes' work, which I've strangely not taken a photo of. Next year, Art Fest is going to be from February 18 - February 21, and fingers crossed, I might be in town again.
This piece haunted my dreams for a few nights. Artist to be identified.
Virgilio Aviado

Dexter Sy, 1335 Mabini
Curioser and Curioser by Daniel Dela Cruz (Art Verite)
Curioser and Curioser by Daniel Dela Cruz (Art Verite)

Part of Egg Fiasco for Secret Fresh
Evening Dress by Iya Consorio
Winter Collection by Jonas Eslao

Igan D'Bayan, Scream-inspired statues
Spoilarium, nightmarish re-imagination of Luna's Spolarium, by Igan D'Bayan
Unbearable Whiteness of Being by Norberto Roldan (Taksu Galleries)
Norberto Roldan
Dust to (saw)dust by Robert Feleo
Biblical Violence by Ian Fabro
Artist yet to be identified
Maya Hewitt
Don't Tell Them What's Under by Zean Cabangis
John Paul Antido
Steampunk Dreams by Iyan de Jesus
Iyan de Jesus, Would have loved to bring this home
Mayi Rasasvada
Tokwa Penaflorida

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...